Karai Kozhambu ( Tamil Masala Gravy )


A slight drizzle is all that requires to make this recipe.It  has been raining since yesterday and I had set my dinner menu. Kara Kozhambu  was accompanied with Udal dal Kootu , Omellette and Applam.I plan to post on the Kootu preparation soon. This is a typical spicy and tangy recipe out the books of my Mom's recipes. I haven't seen the slightest variations in flavour even when she makes it now ! However, The same does not apply to me who likes to experiment in kitchen, so I do change the proportion of ingredients at times... However this one is original. I will share other ways you can just do some variations later.If you have your masalas prepared its probably a time saver to make it. I have also shared my  the Kara Kozhambu Masala we use at home.I make and store them in pouches for 6-8 months in fridge. Infact I make all the other common masalas like Sambar, Mutton , Rasam in advance and store them. Storing in  fridge saves the flavour !

Lets look at what takes it to make a Kara Kozhambu !

Ingredients :
Tamarind - 1 lemon sized ,soaked in 1 cup water
Onion - 1 (fine chopped)
Tomato - 2 (fine chopped)
Curry Leaves - for sauting
Garlic- 100 gm ( peeled)
Small Brinjal - 250 gms
Kara Kozhambu masala - 3 tsp ( for moderate spice)
Oil - Til oil (I prefer sesame oil)

Method:
1.Heat Oil in a pan ( oil should be a little more than what we generally use for gravies)

2.Add mustard and methi seeds. Allow to splutter.

3. Add peeled garlic pods to it and fry well.

4.Add onion to this and cook for sometime, add tomato, curry leaves. Allow to cook. Add Brinjal and cook till the brinjal is almost done.

5.Add the tamarind water to this gravy with turmeric powder and Karai Kozhambu Masala.

6. Cover and allow to cook till brinjal is all done.

7. Remove from fire and add 2 tsp of gingelly oil to the gravy.

8. Serve hot with steam rice and Applam(Pappad).

Related Links : KaraiKozhambu Masala


Amazon best deals :http://amzn.to/1QYSvFK

1 comment:

Dori said...

Sounds tangy and delicious! Yum :)

Food thoughts

How many of us frankly get up in the mornings worrying about , Oh My God what should I make that both the kids will have happily ! With my...