When I am Alone with kids on weekends, I keep myself away from any laborious cooking procedures as I get to do the pending miscellaneous works at home.The most realistic and simple food suitable for the tropical climate is Curd Rice.
A hectic week, busy schedule yet a hearty feeling to eat food, nothing comes easier than this.Usually my cooking spirit at the moment decides the sauting for curd rice.
Sunday was hectic as usual with preparation for the next week,uniforms, dresses, vegetables, washables, homeworks for kids.. getting things in place was priority.
Rahul(My Elder Son, 12 yrs) was in to give me a break and decided for this simple and docile lunch our own humble " Curd Rice".
However my conscience did not allow me to rest at that. So I clubbed it with a Crispy potato fry and pickles.
Ingredients for Curd Rice :
Rice - 1 Cup
Salt - As per taste
Seasoning for Curd Rice:
Asafoetida - pinch
Curry leaves - 5-6
Carrot - 2 Tbsp(Grated)
Cucumber - 2 Tbsp(finely chopped)
Grapes - 8-10(Optional)
Channa dal - 1 tbsp
Udal dal - 2 tsp(Broken)
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chilli - 1(chopped)
Oil - for saute
1. Soak 1 cup of rice. I generally use 1:4 ratio of rice: water when I plan for curd rice.This makes it easier to mash the rice.
2. Allow it to cool.
3. Slowly add water and keep stirring to avoid rice lumps.Since I use the thicker version of curd, I mix water to give it the desired consistency.
4. Refrigerate the rice for 1 hr.
5. Heat oil . Add Mustard Seeds, allow it to splutter. Follow with Channa dal, Udal Dal, Asafoetida.
6. Finally add chopped Green chillies and curry leaves. Add this to rice and mix well.
7. Garnish with grated carrot and chopped cucumber. You can also add green grapes for variation.
Serve chilled with any vegetable fry and pickle.